Friday, September 2, 2011

Things that make me smile


  • SERVICE ANIMALS WELCOME signs. I see one of those and I know I'm going to be left alone.
  • Mothers who say to their children as I pass, "Oh, see, that's a service dog. Now, the thing about service dogs is that they can't be petted, they're working. They help people with special needs...." I'm instantly proud of any mother I hear say that. 
  • People who approach me and say, "I have a sister who's considering getting a service dog. Can I ask you a few questions?"
  • Employees who show me where to find the frozen peas without saying one word about my dog.
  • People who tell off other people who attempt to pet my dog, sometimes before I've even noticed it's happening.
  • Dog owners who immediately control their barking dogs so I don't have to worry about them running over and provoking Poodleface.
  • Obvious dog lovers with enough self-control to admire my dog from afar.
And, finally, the thing that makes me smile the most,
  • People I've known for a while who one day say to me, "Oh my gosh! For a moment there, I forgot you have a service dog" 

No comments:

Post a Comment