Friday, September 30, 2011

If you do this, I hate you

I can't stand people who make their children's happiness my responsibility. When this happens I usually just get a nasty look after I've told their little angel that they can't pet my dog, but there was one mother whom I met last May who was rude enough that I've decided to post about her.
Poodleface and I were walking through what passes for downtown in a place as small as this. We were on our way to the bookstore and were almost there when a mother down the street started excitedly telling her daughter to look at the dog. I feel a little strange whenever parents do that, but whatever. It's no big deal.
I went into the bookstore and started reading the back cover of a book on the front table, but before I'd read more than the first sentence the door opened and the mother came through leading her daughter by the hand and talking happily to her about going to see the dog. I shook my head at her and moved farther down the table, but she still came over to me and asked me brightly if her daughter could pet my dog. "No," I said, a bit weirded out that she'd followed me into the store. She stared at me like I'd done something shocking, and I put the book down and headed for the back of the store because I really hate having to justify the no petting rule to sulking mothers.
I noticed a book on the bottom shelf that looked interesting so I sat on the floor and started looking through it.  I'd been there a few minutes when I heard someone clear their throat above me and I looked up to see that the same mother had once again followed me, and she did not look happy. I started to stand up but she held up her hands and told me to stop; she didn't want me to run away again. I'd actually just wanted to be on the same level as her, but whatever. I stayed on the ground and waited as she told me how I'd made her daughter cry with my rudeness and how disappointed she was that I wasn't even willing to speak to a small child.
I waited until she was done, then got to my feet and told her that I wasn't very happy either; I didn't like being treated like a museum exhibit and if I didn't want to talk to her daughter I didn't have to.
She looked at me like she couldn't believe there were people like me in the world, then said huffily, "Well, I guess we both learned something today. And now my daughter knows not to touch strange dogs." She stormed off and I stood there wishing I wasn't a teenager so she might have taken me a little more seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment