Tuesday, September 27, 2011

How I (metaphorically) singed my nose hair

Poodleface and I went to a Renaissance Festival with my parents earlier this year. It was great; I saw performances and musicians and wonderful costumes, I bought a wooden sword I later accidentally rolled onto in my sleep and a Sky Chair that we'll probably never install, I was referred to as a 'fair maiden' with absolutely no sarcasm, and I successfully escaped the vendor who wanted to sell me a dog kilt, whatever the heck that is.
I also learned what happens when I walk past a stall selling roasted peanuts; Poodleface signals with more enthusiasm than I've ever seen, and I grab my nose and wonder if it's possible my nostrils have managed to spontaneously combust.
One of my many trivia books once told me that most kinds of sneezing powder are just finely ground pepper in a jar. So, since I was eleven and had no idea the kind of power that household pepper wields, I got some out of the spice cabinet and inhaled it. Walking past the peanut vendor was like that, only the burning was more intense and my eyes didn't immediately start to water. I kept walking, sneezed about five times, and felt a lot better. Not to sound like a mad scientist, but it was an interesting experience. Most of my peanut reactions center around my throat or my skin, but I'd just happened to be breathing through my nose this time.
After getting far away from the peanut vendor, I enjoyed the rest of my time at the Renaissance Festival, and I think Poodleface did too. It was a nice vacation. Well, except for the bit where I impaled myself on my own sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment