Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Do they just sit around waiting for a chance to call bullshit?

When I was in fifth grade my parents discovered the magic of almond butter. They had me try some, and although I didn't really like it, I said it was nice because they were so happy. They were thrilled that I could now get one step closer to a normal childhood and packed an almond butter and jelly sandwich in my lunch the next day.
Which prompted shouts of, "SHE'S NOT REALLY ALLERGIC TO PEANUTS!"
I tried to explain that it was ALMOND butter, but no one was interested in listening. They didn't want the truth to get in the way of their fun, and so I sat there crying on my sandwich while boys climbed over the tables to spread the joyous news that I was a liar.
Several years later the same thing happened again, this time while I was eating a Hershey bar. No one wanted to hear me explain that their chocolate bars are manufactured in their own facility, far away from peanuts. They were all too busy being loud about how they'd caught me.
Don't these people have better things to do than sit around waiting for a chance to accuse someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment