Monday, November 14, 2011

How far am I allowed to go?

While I understand that my school's reluctance and in some cases flat-out refusal to accommodate me for the sake of their convenience was wrong, I have to wonder if they did have a point. Things like regularly wiping down surfaces and reading the label on everything I eat might seem normal to me, but to other people look ridiculously extreme. And do I actually have a right to say that no one around me can eat peanuts ever?
Adults glared at me when I asked them to bring the class candy from one brand and not another, and while that might be somewhat justifiable, where am I supposed to draw the line? I wanted to attend parties, but I didn't want to inconvenience anyone. I didn't know what to do. I still don't.
I panic a little whenever I read about legislation for better allergy policies in schools. "Don't these people know that's inconvenient and annoying? The school officials are going to frown and cross their arms at them! They'll be intimidated! What do they think they're doing???" But that's a stupid response, and I know it's a stupid response, and yet I can't help it because I don't know how far I'm allowed to go.
At what point would you be angry with me?

1 comment:

  1. I think it's reasonable to demand 'safe', especially if you're willing to do some of the necessary work. For example, I'd be a bit put out if you expected me to wipe down every substance in my house to make sure you don't have a reaction. On the other hand, especially if I knew there was a health concern, I wouldn't be bothered if you wanted to wipe things or bring something 'safe' to lay over my couch before you sit on it.

    The people who start chest-beating and ranting when the subject of accommodations comes up have a fundamentally flawed idea stuck in their brains. They think that allowing us to be included is a courtesy. Really, inclusion is a right. The hard part is keeping that in your own head. Especially when they are angry because you have needs, needs that public entities DO have to recognize and meet under our legal code.

    Or to put it simply: it's not you, it's them. Really.

    ~Kali

    ReplyDelete