Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Applause for the pleasant security guard

On our vacation we stopped at a mall, and at that mall I bought some wonderful pants and a shirt. The pants were wonderful because they were marked as 'tall' and thus fit my legs without requiring a belt. Our unpleasant little town is too small to stock such things, but this entry really isn't about pants, so I'll get on with it now.
While at the mall I was approached by a security guard who wanted conformation that Poodleface was a service dog. He approached me with a smile and phrased his question politely. I politely responded that yes, he was a service dog, and that I had his license with me if the guard wanted to see it. He assured me that wasn't necessary and told me to have a nice day. And that was it. 
Here is a list of everything the guard did right:
  • He quietly approached me instead of flagging me down and making a scene
  • Instead of being confrontational he addressed me politely and used a pleasant tone
  • He didn't demand to know the type of service dog, type of disability, or anything more than what he was legally allowed to ask
  • He didn't attempt to touch or interact with my dog in any way
  • He didn't attempt to make conversation about dogs and let me immediately return to shopping
  • He treated me like a person instead of a liability to be cleared up
Never have I met a person more reasonable about service dogs than the pleasant security guard. I take my hat off to the pleasant security guard. I thoroughly applaud him, and I wish him well in all his future endeavors. This world needs more pleasant security guards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment