Monday, August 22, 2011

Traveling with a service dog (and a peanut allergy!)


Poodleface and I just returned from a vacation with my parents, which got me thinking about all the different things I do to be able to travel.
First, the service dog aspect:
Collapsible kennels are wonderful for dogs that are crate-trained. My only complaint with them is that they're supposed to twist into little mesh frisbees for easy storage, but more often than not they need to be wrestled with a bit first. Still, even when they're being disagreeable they still fold completely flat, so when they won't twist they can just be tucked under something.
Rawhide bones are a wonderful distraction for an active dog on a long car trip. They can spend hours chewing one. Like the kennel, the bones also have a downside in that they can leave threads of rawhide on the car seats, but it washes off pretty easily.
A service dog license is essential if you're going to be staying in a hotel. Most hotels are very nice about accomodating dogs, but earlier this year I learned that a few are more strict when a clerk told me sternly that it was a crime to pretend a dog was a service dog and asked me if I wanted to rethink my statement. I showed her Poodleface's license, which she took away to photocopy and later show to the manager in case he decided to pursue legal action against me. I didn't hear anything else about it after that and I was very glad I'd had the license with me.
Some people also prefer to bring collapsible dog dishes, I suppose because they're easier to store. Personally I prefer to use my regular ones when traveling because they're easier to clean. I also carry a chihuahua-sized dish in my purse to give my dog water instead of the collapsible one I had previously tried using. It has to be refilled more but is also easier to dry, which keeps the contents of my bag from smelling funny.

And now, traveling with peanut allergies:
Microwaveable cups of instant maccaroni, coolers, and tupperware are your best friends. Bring lots of hand wipes.

People with allergen detector dogs can eat at restaurants if they so choose, but I personally try to avoid restaurants whenever possible. On one memorable occasion Poodleface rejected three different sandwiches that were brought out to me over the course of an hour before I caught on and asked, "Are you putting these on the same plate?" On another occasion I was told I had ordered that food and I wasn't getting a refund on the word of a dog. And then there are the strange looks I get from other diners when I stand up and invite my dog to sniff my meal. As someone who bows easily to peer pressure, I find it uncomfortable.
But I have had good experiences with Poodleface at restaurants as well. In bigger cities no one seems to care what you do with your dog, whereas in smaller towns, like the one I live in, everyone wants to know just what you think you're doing. I once ended up sitting at the table next to a kindergarten teacher who had had several students with peanut allergies, and we chatted the entire meal about accommodations.

From what I've seen, traveling with a service dog is just like traveling with a small child. You need to pack them a meal or find some way to provide one, you need to keep them entertained, and you need to find them a bathroom. (Or a patch of grass. Whichever.)

No comments:

Post a Comment