Friday, August 26, 2011

Medical alert


Read any article about parenting with peanut allergies and you'll undoubtedly find instructions to get your child a wardrobe filled with PEANUT FREE warnings in bold-face print, or at the very least a medical alert charm. Am I the only one who looks at these things and feels like I'm painting a giant red bulls-eye on my forehead?
I got teased for being allergic to peanuts. I got harassed for it. Teachers smiled and brushed me off when I mentioned it in elementary school, and by high school they were no longer smiling and instead of the metaphorical brush-off I was getting a shove back towards my desk. Everyone's always acted like a peanut allergy was a shameful thing, so why would I want to brand myself and announce it to the world?
I wince internally whenever anyone stops me to talk about service dogs. I can't imagine a  lifetime of people asking me why I'm wearing a medical alert tag. Maybe I'm basing my expectations on small-town prejudice, but until I grow up and can move somewhere bigger that's my reality.
And have you looked at these charms? Attempt to buy one from Amazon and you'll get a sea of merrily dancing peanuts under the words PEANUT ALLERGY in cheerful print. Am I the only one who wants to vomit? Switch to Google and you'll receive a slew of links, most of which will offer to sell you a medical alert charm MADE FROM GOLD OR SILVER. Not only can I not afford that, I don't want my most expensive piece of jewelry to be the one telling the world what's wrong with me! That's not a respectable-looking lifesaving device, that's a piece of bling! And now I'm disgusted and freaked out and slightly nauseous and ready to give the whole thing up in favor of a nice game of Tetris, which is thankfully free of dancing nuts.
And where would I wear it? Around my wrist? I hate bracelets. In my ears? Okay, why are there even medical alert tags for your ears? Do EMTs know to check there? And what if you're wearing your hair down? Around my neck? Maybe, possibly, I could consider that, if I could find something not crafted from a precious metal and that didn't make me feel like I'd accidentally put on my dog's collar this morning!
It doesn't exactly help that I keep running into people who scoff at the idea that an ALLERGY could be a DISABILITY. It REALLY doesn't help that I was taught by these people until ELEVENTH GRADE, at which point I left the school district because my only other alternative was to passionately hate myself for daring to have this allergy.
Where was I again? Ah yes, hating on medical alert charms.
It all seems so complicated. I would want to keep it hidden, but how would that help me in an emergency? Would people know to look under my shirt for the charm I'd tucked out of sight? And why do I need to wear a charm in the first place when anyone can look into my purse and see two EpiPens and a dozen Benadryl tablets? It wouldn't be that hard to figure out what was wrong with me.
I dunno. I'm in no way a medical expert, just an irritated teen ranting on her blog. Don't opt out of one just 'cause of me.
Has anyone ever had a positive experience with one? And if so, where do you wear it?

No comments:

Post a Comment