Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Do I really take that long?

We'd stopped at a gas station in the middle of a long drive home from a day trip out of town, and I was looking forward to getting something cold to drink to combat the summer heat. I took Poodleface over to use the grass before we went inside. The man behind the counter immediately told me to take my dog back outside. "It's a service dog," I told him, pointing to the jacket. He crossed his arms and glared. "We only allow seeing eye dogs."
"Service dogs are allowed everywhere. It's federal law. I have his ID card if you want to see it," I offered in the bland tone I usually adopt when arguing service dog policy. He shook his head sternly at me, but didn't object when Poodleface and I headed for the neon RESTROOMS sign. 
I'd seen an ice cream cooler by the window and was envisioning myself eating a popsicle, but when I looked they didn't have any of the brands I usually buy. I took one out and started reading the ingredients list.
"Look." said the man, sounding very annoyed, "Is there something I can help you find?"
I looked up from the list. "I have severe food allergies," I told him, "I have to read this."
"Oh, do you?"
I chose not to answer that and went back to the list. It checked out okay, so I put it on the counter and reached for my money while I waited for him to ring it up. He didn't, opting to hold it hostage while he interrogated me a little more.
"What kind of service does that dog do?"
"Medical alert."
"Which means what?"
I gave the popsicle a pointed look. He scanned it, accepted my money, but withheld the change. I took a deep breath.
"A medical alert dog accompanies a person with a hidden disability and alerts them if they're going to have an attack or need medical treatment. Seizure dogs are medical alert dogs."
He studied me for a few seconds. "Do you have seizures?"
I don't even tell people who aren't rude insensitive gits why I have Poodleface because so many of them decide I've found a clever loophole and exploited it to get a pet with a VIP pass, so I simply held out my hand for my change, which I got ten seconds later when he realized he couldn't make me say anything else. 
I went back out to the car with my popsicle, thinking about what a jerk he was and how I hate people like him, when I realized that maybe I had been taking a little too long to read the popsicle. How long do normal people take, anyway?
I do that while I'm shopping too, although for things I buy every time I just flip them over and briefly scan the list, not really taking the time to study it in-depth. Do I annoy other shoppers? Does it look strange? I'd never realized anyone might consider it abnormal.
What do you think? Do you ever read things before you buy them?

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with you taking long unless you were in the way or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any allergies and I read ingredients lists merely because they interest me. I see people doing it in the store all the time and I don't think it looks weird at all. The majority of people get curious about what they're eating at some point, some are just a little more diligent about it than others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more likely to read the ingredients list on things that aren't food, actually. Which I suspect comes off as even weirder than reading food labels. I've got some degree of chemical sensitization, so I have to watch out for really common things like sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate, and if it has perfume or extracts I haven't used often before, I have to smell it in the store to make sure it won't trigger problems immediately AND I'm not allowed to try using it unless there is someone else in the house (the former (SLS) is just a skin irritant; the latter is because of a series of asthma attacks that could have killed me if there hadn't been someone to drive me to the ER).

    As far as food goes, I'm only likely to read it carefully if it's vegetarian or some kind of energy bar, because I can't have soy protein. Or if I think it might have too much onion - I can tolerate some, but too much and I become ill.

    ReplyDelete